Who else is in disbelief that it’s already May? It’s really feeling like we’re in a bizarre, unfit-for-TV episode of The Twilight Zone these days.
On to the news: There’s a lot to cover in today’s ECF News Cart. From Amazon under fire for allegedly misleading Congress to major layoffs at Airbnb, there is a lot going on in the industry right now.
It was a big week for Shopify who, along with its merchants, saw very strong growth amid COVID-19. It also released a new mobile app last week dubbed ‘Shop', which has the potential to be a major destination for shoppers going forward.
Enjoy the headlines below!
In the News
- Allows people to browse, get customized recommendations and explore products from local merchants
- Designed to be an advertising-free experience
- Newly created stores surged 62% from Mar 13 – April 24 compared to the prior six week period
- Over 94% of lost point-of-sale revenue was recovered by merchants pivoting online
- Shopify stock has more than doubled since April 1
- Democratic leaders suspect Amazon of lying to Congress regarding its private label strategy
- “If the reporting in the Wall Street Journal article is accurate, then statements Amazon made to the Committee about the company’s business practices appear to be misleading, and possibly criminally false or perjurious,”
- Amazon stock fell 5% after missing estimates on earning despite beating revenue expectations
- Plans to spend estimated Q2 profit, close to $4 billion, on COVID-19 response including testing and delivery infrastructure
- Ad revenues slowed in March and some ad launches were delayed as a result of COVID-19, according to Alphabet CEO Sundar Pichai
- Expedia Group and Booking Holdings anticipate cutting Google ad spending this year by 80%
- Core updates focus on re-assessing content to prioritize more relevant, timely results
- Google reports there have never been as many searches for a single topic over a certain period as there is for “COVID-19”
- The government will audit any company taking out more than $2 million from the small business loan program according to Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin
- 220+ public companies applied for at least $870 million from the program, according to FactSquared
- Further gov. guidance claims “…applicants needed to exhaust other avenues of liquidity that would enable them to support ongoing operations”
- Kickstarter has seen a 35% drop in crowdfunding projected posted to the site
- Union organizers are discussing “potential layoffs” with company leadership
- First time Federal Reserve will lend directly to non-financial institutions since the Great Depression
- Goal to lend $600 billion to companies who face good odd of survival with financing
- More broad sweeping than the PPP, companies with up to 15,000 employees are eligible
- Airbnb reports it was allocating $250 million to help offset host losses
- The company suspended marketing in March to save $800 million in 2020
- First major retailer to file for bankruptcy since COVID-19 outbreak
- The company had filed for an IPO in September 2019
- More than 100,000 stores could close up for good by the end of 2025 according to UBS
- Neiman Marcus, Macy’s, Belk, J.C. Penney and Gap among companies discussed
- Peloton’s stock has skyrocketed by 95% since March and its revenue increased by 66% in the first three months of 2020
- 1.1 million people signed up for Peloton’s digital-only free trials in March and April
Top Forum Discussions
(Membership required to access. Not a member? Apply to join our vibrant community of 7-figure store owners today.)
- Are You Competing with Unemployment?
- I’m Putting up $50,000 for Frontline Workers
- Let’s Argue: Private Labeling vs Full Product Development
- How I Grew My Store Meaningfully with Podcast Ads (Includes ROI Stats)
- For Those of You With Kids in School – How is Distance Learning Going?
Looking for Capital and/or Mentorship?
If you're interested in long-term funding from a team that also has the skills, eCommerce rolodex and battle-tested knowledge to help you grow, you need to check out eCommerceFuel Capital.
(Compelling opportunities from the eCommerceFuel Job Board. Find your dream job or post your own job opening right here.)
- Amazon Marketing Apprentice | Harkla | Remote