I bought inventory of a pet hard goods product that has performed well in the DTC space. It’s an extremely well made, innovative and well designed item, with a solid sales track record online.
The plan was to sell it into discount retailers. The US arm of the company who was buying the inventory in Canada didn’t end up picking up the product. I am looking for options on how to best move forward with the US inventory, now that big box discount retail is out of the picture.
Options I’ve been considering:
- It will take time and money to build a fresh site and will also require a team to stay on top of the operation to make it worth it.
- Paid ads can eat almost all profit if we don’t find our footing as we scale.
- Sourcing and negotiating a competitive 3PL agreement is also very time consuming, given that we won’t be keeping this business going once we exhaust the inventory
Sell wholesale to independent pet retailers:
- I know that there is demand for the product in that space, but I have not been able to find a way to sell to them directly.
Sell to veterinarians:
- Same issue as the independent pet retailers. I haven’t been able to find a direct way to sell this product to them.
If anyone knows how to effectively sell into independent pet retailers and vet clinics, or if you have other suggestions on how to move this inventory, I’d appreciate the input. Any and all options welcome.